This summer HMRC plans to launch an online form to deal with requests regarding overlap relief and the administration of basis-period reform.

Self-employed taxpayers with a year end other than 31 March or 5 April will be affected by the move to a tax year basis. They will need to establish any overlap relief available to them ahead of filing their self assessment returns for the transitional year, 2023/24.

HMRC can only provide this information if it is recorded in HMRC’s systems and has been included within submitted returns for previous tax years.

If any taxpayers wish to make a request ahead of publication of this online form, HMRC will require the following information:

  • customer name;
  • national insurance number or unique taxpayer reference (UTR);
  • name or description of the business;
  • whether the business is a sole trader or partnership;
  • if the business is part of a partnership, the partnership’s UTR;
  • date of commencement of the self-employed business, or date of commencement as a partner in a partnership (if not known, then the tax year of commencement); and,
  • the most recent accounting period end date.

Read more about the transition to the tax year basis:

ICAEW’s Tax Faculty is recognised internationally as a leading authority and source of expertise on taxation. The faculty is the voice of tax for ICAEW, responsible for all submissions to the tax authorities. Join the Faculty for expert guidance and support enabling you to provide the best advice on tax to your clients or business.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *